Friday, April 20, 2012

SWEET 101

Recently I've been thinking about my past life as a cookie decorator. I'm not sure there's anything I haven't drawn on a cookie. From armadillos to zebras, and everything you could possibly imagine in between. Treadmills, speedboats, flowers of all kinds, clowns, baby cookies, balloons and birthday cakes, people's pets, bucketloads of custom designs, holiday cookies, logos, etc. Sock hop theme? Sure. Want something special to help you tell your husband he's going to be a dad? You got it. You name it, we'd do it. But the most popular thing we sold was plain iced cookies. Because they were relatively inexpensive, and they were GOOD. I mean, people would drive for miles for these cookies. For a lot of families, they were a yearly holiday/birthday tradition. They'd send them to their kids in college, take them on airplanes to friends.

It's those cookies that have inspired this pattern, SWEET 101. First, you draw the cookie- a circle. Then, you add the icing- a wavy line within the circle, which is as parallel to the lines of the circle as a wavy line can be.




When I played with filling in the negative space, interesting things began to happen. 
I also added a single aura to pull it all together. 





Here's Sweet 101 as a simple border/string pattern:



This pattern is dedicated to Linda, who was my boss for those fourteen years. 
She's been a good friend to me over the years and is now a fellow CZT. 

Here's to the next chapter of our lives! *clink* 

-Sandra Marie












2 comments:

  1. Sandy - have just found your blog and really enjoy your tangles and your writing style!
    Is there any way you could add one of those thingys in which we put our emails and then have your blog sent to our email address so we don't miss a post?
    Sorry about all the technical terms in the previous paragraph - as you can see I am down with all this computer stuff - thank heavens for my children who have got me as far as I am able to go - though they are trying to lead me further into the jungle!
    Anyway - love your blog and your tangles and I look forward to following you in the days to come!
    Jakki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, I can certainly relate to your blog....I worked for 30 plus years as a cake decorator for the local grocery store here in Ohio. Now that I'm semi-retired (working part-time for the same grocery store) I can spend more time on my art...which includes Zentangle. I love this new tangle, and often thought to myself how I could translate cake decorating designs into Zentangles!! You inspire me, keep up the great work!
    peace,
    Sue O.

    ReplyDelete

• ❃ • ❋ • ❁ • ✿ • ✽ • ❀ •
I have comment moderation turned on to filter out all the spammy flotsam, so submitted comments will not appear until after they squeeze by the spam filter (that would be me). ;o) If you'd like a reply, please email me and I will reply posthaste by pigeon or owl within the month (possibly longer, depending on distance and weather conditions).